Pages

About Me

My photo
My name is Nathan Moon. I am a follower of Jesus Christ. I am a full time student at the University of Whitewater, Wisconsin. I am studying creative writing, and journalism. Topics of interest include: civil disobedience, market economy/ politics, religion, poetry, fiction, literary analysis. and more.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The Poison Tree, by William Blake

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe:
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I watered it in fears
Night and morning with my tears,
And I sunned it with smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright,
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine - 

And into my garden stole
When the night had veiled the pole;
In the morning, glad, I see
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.








James, 1:19-20, "Wherefore, my beloved bretheren. Be swift to hear; slow to speak; slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God." 


Remember, as in classic tales such as "Snow White", often times jealousy can lead to wrath, which often leads to someone being hurt, and sometimes worse. It's easy to draw a similarity between popular culture and scripture at this point, considering Cain of the Old Testament despised Able's favor in God's sight for having a more illustrious offering and so murdered his only brother. 


Remember what God asks us: that if you hate your brother, who you can see, how can you love God who you cannot? 


Choose to love each other. Though we may be human, and the flesh will act against the spirit, the spirit will overcome if you trust in the Lord and allow his hand to guide you. He loved first; we will love just as he did. It will take time. But it's surely profitable. 

1 comment:

  1. Haha I feel like i've heard of william blake. I liked that poem and I really liked how you interpreted it after with good scripture =)

    ReplyDelete